President Dr. W. Joseph King signed an agreement with the Arkansas Colleges of Health Education (ACHE) in Fort Smith, guaranteeing that Lyon College students, who meet eligibility requirements, will be granted an admissions interview to any of ACHE’s programs.
“This agreement is a fantastic opportunity for our students who are interested in health sciences,” said King. “Preparing students to excel after graduation is an important part of the College’s mission, and this agreement contributes to those efforts.”
These programs include the Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM), the School of Physical Therapy (ACHE PT), the School of Occupational Therapy (ACHE OT) and the Master of Science in Biomedicine (MSB) program.
Lyon Provost Melissa Taverner said ACHE approached Lyon to establish this collaborative agreement because of the exceptionally strong preparation for healthcare careers that Lyon students receive.
“Our admission statistics for post-graduate healthcare professional programs regularly exceed national averages and is a testament to the rigor of our programs,” Taverner said.
She continued, “Our graduates go on to serve their communities as doctors, dentists, therapists, pharmacists, and in many other professional fields. That success is rooted in the Lyon experience.”
To be guaranteed an admissions interview, Lyon students must meet the following requirements:
- Be either a United States citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the United States.
- Complete all prerequisite coursework prior to matriculation into their respective program.
- Achieve the following minimum grade point averages (GPA):
- ARCOM- 3.5 overall GPA, of which the overall science GPA must be at least 3.4.
- MSB- 3.2 overall GPA, of which the overall science GPA must be at least 3.0.
- ACHE PT- 3.5 overall GPA.
- ACHE OT- 3.5 overall GPA.
- Sit for a healthcare professional entrance examination and receive the following minimum scores:
- ARCOM- Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) score of 500
- MSB- MCAT score of 490; Dental Admission Test (DAT) score of 18; or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score of 301
- ACHE PT- as determined by the ACHE PT Admissions Committee
- ACHE OT- as determined by the ACHE OT Admissions Committee
ACHE’s guarantee of an interview does not guarantee admission into any ACHE program.
“We are excited to become partners with Lyon College,” stated Brian Kim, President of ACHE. “We have a goal to educate and retain our Arkansas students in our medical education programs. Lyon College students have a reputation of being students of excellence and we look forward to welcoming them to our campus.”