Ouachita Baptist University’s Office of Communications and Marketing won a grand prize as well as 12 other awards in the Baptist Communicators Association’s W.C. Fields Awards. The awards were given at BCA’s recent national workshop in Riverside, Calif.
Ouachita won the Diane Reasoner Award for Exceptional Achievement in Interactive Communications for its “It’s [wash-i-tah] Social Media Post,” which also won first place in the Social Media Single Post category, Interactive Communications Division. The team also won second place in the Social Media Single Post category for its “Acceptance Box Stop Motion Social Media Post.”
One grand prize is awarded for each of the seven divisions within the competition. In addition to the entry that won the Reasoner award, Ouachita’s two first place entries in the Public Relations and Development Division were second- and third-place finalists for the grand prize in that division. This is the second consecutive year for Ouachita to win a grand prize award at the BCA workshop.
“It’s very honoring for the work of our office to be recognized in this fashion,” said Tyler Rosenthal, Ouachita’s digital content coordinator, who coordinated the grand prize-winning post and accompanying video. “From conception to completion, this particular project was a fun way for us to create a piece that educates, celebrates, promotes and entertains all in one. It is exciting to see that hard work pay off through the reception and performance of this project – and now with this humbling award.”
Baptist Communicators Association is a professional development organization established in 1953 for communications professionals at primarily Southern Baptist agencies. Members represent such institutions as the North American Mission Board, GuideStone Financial Resources, state and national Baptist newspapers and magazines, state Baptist conventions and universities like Ouachita, Baylor University, California Baptist University, Union University and Samford University.
“I’m so proud of our team for these national recognitions,” said Brooke Zimny, Ouachita director of communications and marketing. “Winning awards for 12 of the 13 pieces we entered – plus a grand prize – is a testament to the outstanding staff that worked together to execute each of these pieces and to the high quality of work they do each day.”
Zimny also was elected as a national BCA officer for 2019-2020, awards chair-elect, and will serve as awards chair for 2020-2021.
Other staff members in the Office of Communications and Marketing include Ashley Carozza, graphic design coordinator; Rachel Moreno, editorial coordinator; and Tiffany Pickett, recruitment communications coordinator.
Other awards earned by the Ouachita team include:
- 1st Place for “#1 Private University in Arkansas” Billboards in the Promotion and Advertising Billboard/Banner category, Design Division.
- 1st Place for Acceptance Box in the Promotion and Advertising Specialty Item category, Design Division.
- 1st Place for Ouachita Baptist University Virtual Tour in the Internet-based Other Media category, Interactive Communications Division.
- 1st Place for Pronunciation Campaign in the Total Public Relations or Development Campaign Less than $25,000 Budget category, Public Relations and Development Division.
- 1st Place for Nursing Program Launch Campaign in the Total Public Relations or Development Campaign More than $25,000 budget, Public Relations and Development Division.
- 2nd Place for Acceptance Box Campaign in the Total Public Relations or Development Campaign More than $25,000 Budget category, Public Relations and Development Division.
- 2nd Place for “President to Parent” Email Series in the Internet-based Other Media category, Interactive Communications Division.
- 3rd Place for It’s [wash-i-tah] in the Video Promotion, Less than 2 Minutes category, Audio-Visual Communications Division.
- 3rd Place for Ouachita Alumni: Sarah Harmeyer in the Video Editorial Feature, 2-5 Minutes category, Audio-Visual Communications Division.
- 3rd Place for Nursing Launch Integrated Branding Campaign in the Print Collateral Integrated Branding category, Design Division.
For more information on BCA, visit www.baptistcommunicators.org.